Monday, April 21, 2014

A Great Week!

Hello hello!!!
It has been a great week!! Not quite as exciting as last week, but still a good week none the less!
Tuesday we had zone meeting which was good. We did lots of practice teaching, which is sometimes awkward, but fun haha. I love teaching with Sister Choi so that is good!
Wednesday, we went and had lunch with *** and his wife *** .  He had lots of questions about stuff he had been reading in the Doctrine and Covenants, so I answered those the best I could... Haha He said he hadn't read much more in the Book of Mormon, and had been focusing on other stuff, but I told him how the Book of Mormon has to come first. He has to read it, pray about it, and gain a testimony of it, and everything else will fall into place after that. Everything we really need is right in the Book of Mormon. It really is so great!! We taught his wife more as well. She had read through 1 Nephi 12, which we were pretty excited about! We were talking about baptism, and she said, "Wait. Who decides who gets baptized and who doesn't" You do!!! We invited her to baptism and she said that she will think about it. She wants to be really sure, just like we want her to as well. We want her to do it for herself, and not just to follow her husband. She is doing what she needs too-studying, praying, and has real intent, and so she WILL get her answer.
Thursday, we had interviews, which was great. It was our last interviews with President since he will go home at the end of next transfer! While President interviews everyone, Sister Gilbert always teaches, which is always so awesome! For the last few transfers, we have been focusing on the "questions of the soul" and how they can be answered through the Book of Mormon and so we each took a turn to teach about the one we chose. I talked about knowing that what we are doing is really the Lord's will for us, and related it to Words of Mormon 1:7, my latest favorite scripture, and how Mormon did not know exactly why he was abridging the record, but knew it was a commandment from God, and so he followed! I love hearing from the other missionaries in my district as well, and their great examples.

Friday, we went and visited a lady who was baptized last summer with her husband.  They are probably about 60 and investigated the church for 5 or 6 years before getting baptized.  She studies the Book of Mormon SO much, and has such a strong testimony, but still has a hard time really feeling like part of the church.  It was good to talk with her.

Saturday, we had dinner with the sisters who had a baptismal  date a few months ago.  They  are both SO busy with school, so can't meet often, which is really sad.  They want to learn, but maybe the timing is just not right now.  We will keep a good relationship with them and pray for the best in the future.

Sunday, was Easter!!!  I is barely even recognized here, but I told Sister *** we needed to celebrate!  We went to Daiso (it's like a fancy dollar store) the other day and I told her that we had $10 to make an Easter Basket for each other.  It turned out really fun!!   I hid her's and so she had to find it.  It was great! Then we went to church.  It was the last day in our current building so we packed everything up after church and so they can move everything Tuesday!!  We are SO EXCITED!! We went and saw the new building the other day and it looks like a real church building inside.  I will send pics next week:)  One of the members daughters, who lives in California, is visiting for a month with her 3 kids who are 8, 6 and 3, so I got to teach primary to them in English yesterday, which was fun.  I didn't know they were going to be there, but luckily had my Liahona in my bag that had an Easter activity in it so we talked about Christ's birth, drew a pic of it, talked about His miracles, drew a pic of it, and then his resurrection, and drew a pic of that.  Then sang some songs.  It turned out pretty fun!!  She served at Temple Square, and when her husband (who is American) was going to school, they lived in Holladay, so that was super fun to talk to her.  She was really excited about it!

I have been studying the Book of Mormon really in depth--writing down my thoughts, looking up subtitles and other references, etc.  over the last 9 months, and I am finally to the end of 2 Nephi!  I was thinking a lot about Nephi this morning, and all that we can learn from him.  When we first read Nephi's words, he is humble and obedient,  and has a testimony, but relies a lot on his father's testimony.  As we read through 1 and 2 Nephi, however, we can see how Nephi's testimony, submission to the Lord's will, and pure faith in Jesus Christ, grows, develops, and is strengthened.  In the beginning, we read of Nephi's obedience- his "Go and Do what the Lord commands" attitude, and desire to learn as he prays to understand the tree of life.  At the end of 2 Nephi, as we read Nephi's last words, we can see how his testimony is COMPLETELY centered on Christ, as well as the Christlike love and charity he has for his people and for us--who he knew he was writing for.  I hope that as I look back on my life one day, I can say the same about myself.  I know that as I look at the last 14ish months of my mission, I can see how my testimony has turned from being something inside of me, to now constantly desiring to share it with others. Now it is completely centered on Christ and truly knowing what He has done and can do for me.  I love that we can read the Book of Mormon and learn from the prophets in it.  There are so many things that we can use in our lives today!!!

I am so grateful for you and your example.  I say that every week, but I know that it is true!!

We are headed off to Hahoe Maoul (the traditional Korean village which is the reason Andong is famous).  I have wanted to go since December, so finally planned it!  (I'm getting really good at planning P-Days haha.)   Get excited for pics next week!

I love you!!!

Em

No comments:

Post a Comment