Sunday, May 5, 2013

Last letter from the MTC

May 3, 2013

Hello everyone!!

This will be my last email at the MTC.  I have loved the last week!  It has been so fun to have some time in class with our teachers where we can talk about the Korean culture and a little of what to expect, since we don't have as much of the language to learn.  It’s been a little frustrating since a lot of my district is starting to check out mentally and are just ready to get there, but we are still all trying our best!

Last night we had the best activity ever!!  So there are a bunch of native Koreans who are going to serve their missions in Korea here again.  There is not an MTC in Asia, so they come here for the two-week MTC stay that is similar to the English speakers.  So last night, we got to practice proselyting (Jun-do in Korean) to them.  They pretended to be people on the streets, and we were missionaries--just like what we will all be doing over the next few weeks.  Sister Scott and I actually did pretty good!  Our routine was first to compliment their dress, tie, shoes, etc. then ask them where they were going, or something like that, and introduce ourselves as missionaries.  We then asked them if they have ever heard of our church or the Book of Mormon, or if they believed in God, then went from there.  Keep in mind this was all in Korean!!!!!  Some of it was a little slow, but for the most part we did pretty well!!  When we were talking to the Korean Elders, we asked them their names, and one said "Brad Pitt" and the other "Jim Carrey".  Then we asked them if we could have their phone numbers to call them again and they said, "no sorry we have girlfriends".  Haha we were laughing so hard and didn't know quite how to react.   I love the Korean missionaries so much!  There are like 15 sisters and 5 elders here right now.  They like to practice their English with us, and we do our best practicing Korean with them, and it all works out!  It’s crazy to see how much we have learned over the last 9 weeks.

So if any of you have talked to my mom you know that I have been sick here and previous to being in the MTC. The doctor has suggested that I come home for 3 weeks and get my tonsils out before going to Korea.  So I will be leaving the MTC probably Sunday night, and then get surgery this week, take a few to recover, and fly straight to Korea after I have recovered.  I am super bummed, of course, but have to apply what I have learned over and over throughout my time at the MTC.  Heavenly Father has a plan for my mission and me.  He called me to Korea at this time for a reason, and even though we may not understand why I have to go home for this, I will eventually.  And if not, I know there is still a reason and I can make the most of this time home!  Get ready to hear some Korean!!  (Ok maybe I'm a little more confident until I actually start speaking.)  Love you all and thank you for your support!!! 

I'm trying to think of some of the great things we have learned from our teachers about Korea!  Oh I guess it is fairly inexpensive to send things from Korea to the US--especially compared to US-Korea rates.  So once I get there, you can look forward to some Korean awesomeness.  They all wear shiny ties, so I'll find some good ones for Josh and Dad.  I'm actually super excited about the food.  Even if I don't love it at first, I know I will learn to.  We'll have to go to the Korean market again on Tuesday or something and maybe I'll be a little more adventurous this time haha.  My teacher has a Korean-English dictionary that is electronic and looks exactly like a Nintendo DS with a keyboard so it will be fun to get one of those.  I'm excited to hear from my district once they get there and get more specifics on what they are surprised about and such.  So exciting!!!!

I think that's about it for now--not too much to report.  I'm sure I'll have lots of stories to tell once I get home!!

Love you all SOOO MUCH!!!

Em

No comments:

Post a Comment